Our Story

How it all started...

First Baptist Church of Florence, Alabama, was organized on May 20, 1888. For more than 122 years First Baptist has served the spiritual needs of Florence.

God has richly blessed the congregations of First Baptist Church over the years. It is our prayer that we will use the beautiful facilities He has given us to help others to know and follow God’s will for their lives.

The first church building was built in 1890 at the corner of Tombigbee and Walnut Streets near the heart of downtown Florence. In July 1909 a fire destroyed that original church building.

By November of the same year, the First Baptist congregation held a ground-breaking service for a new church structure on the same site. That second church building still stands and is now used as the First Baptist Church Chapel.

In 1919 a Pastorium was built at 316 East Tombigbee Street, next door to the church building. Beginning in the mid-1950’s, the former Pastorium was used as the Church Office building. Educational buildings were added to the church plant in 1920 and 1954.

The present Worship Center (Sanctuary) of First Baptist Church was built in 1963 at the corner of Wood Avenue and Tombigbee Street, across from historic Wilson Park. At the time of its construction, the steeple of First Baptist Church was the tallest structure in the city of Florence. The building also houses the church’s Fellowship Hall on its lower level. The Worship Center was remodeled in 1988, and the Fellowship Hall underwent renovation in 1999.

First Baptist Church, while undergoing the 1999 construction, purchased the former Florence/Lauderdale Library property on Wood Avenue next to the FBC Worship Center. The building, now referred to as 218 on Wood, is currently used for our ministry to college students and other community events.

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 10:30 am.